Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Coffee Swap Topic #2 and My So Called Charity

With Halloween coming up this Friday, tell us what you think of when you think Halloween! Do you love it? Hate it? See it as a sign of Fall? Are you a total sucker for candy and little kids in cute costumes?

I like Halloween, I guess. I've never been a fan of scaring myself, though I do dress up when required, and I love to see the cute little costumed kids toddling around.
I love carving pumpkins and roasting pumpkin seeds and all of the bite size candy everywhere. Though, I'll take anything apple oriented over a pumpkin any day :)


Above is a My So Called Scarf in progress. Below is the same pattern in different yarn, finished. I had started it in January and apparently lost interest, so I finished it up. Above is a bad picture of a charity work-in-progress. I just couldn't be bothered to find another pattern and needle size to start something different. Plus the pattern is fun to knit, and my needles were upstairs...I've been a bit reluctant to take on stairs more than I have to lately.

The doctor thinks my injury could require up to months of physical therapy, if not surgery. But I won't know until I get an MRI in mid-November. I'm getting the distinct feeling that I'm going to have
a lot more time for knitting for the winter. Luckily, I have quite a bit of craft store yarn from before I turned into a yarn snob just dying to be made into something and given away. I feel a little guilty, making people things out of ugly acrylics....but they are machine washable, and an acrylic scarf or hat is better than no scarf or hat at all.
I'm trying not to be too upset about not being able to run or play soccer or doing yoga or bike or hike or maybe not even ski this season. Just two weeks ago I was running through fallen leaves on the bike path next to Lake Champlain at sunrise.....and now I'm tossing and turning in bed because my knee area aches and there is no comfortable position to sleep in. It seems not the fairest in trade offs. But now I have plenty of time to knit and catch up on my reading and wine drinking. Right?

2 comments:

trash said...

I'm all for the Pollyanna outlook - if you have to sit still this Winter at least all the knitting is gonna get done!

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, I love the scarf! I think it's great that you use the acrylics for people who will enjoy the final product. It's not wasteful, and if you're not knitting for a yarn snob, the recipient will love the final product.

Healing thoughts your way... Stay positive :) And as someone who's had her share of ankle injuries, may I recommend AGAINST self-medicating with Ben & Jerry's? In the long run, I've found it to do more harm than good.

I LOVE Halloween! I love the kiddies in their cute costumes, I love/hate the candy and its relationship to my diet, and I adore jack o'lanterns. But I'm with you on the apple vs. pumpkin issue.